Perhaps the antithesis of the “shoes as art” statement heel, which although is eye candy to the extreme, can sometimes be a wee bit tricky to actually walk in. I can see why the option of flat shoes would be very welcome to many women. Its not always a good look tottering around – especially with toddlers in tow. Dressing with an element of masculine is a look that exudes confidence. Who could forget that fashion moment in Coco Avant Chanel when Coco dresses up in a man tailored suit?
Like the pantsuit, the blazer and the leather jacket, man-style brogues or loafers are being used to toughen up or add contrast to softer, more girly outfits. They can also complement a preppy or boho look. And you don't have to become a Diane Keaton wannabe. There is everything out there from traditional flat laced brogues in aged-look leather to soft deconstructed “jazz” shoes and high block heeled lace-up brogues, for those of us who need a hand in the height department (or don't want to alter all of our jeans and trousers!). And the details? Many feature decorative punch eyelet work or studs. Or choose from patent, suedes, or animal print to add interest.
Check out 10 great styles of brogues/loafers below, in store now.
1) No need to worry about lacing it up DANNI by Briarwood which has on-trend stud detailing and a wearable cuban heel – plus you'll be supporting NZ made!
2) COSTUME DRAMA by Clarks features a high block heel for those of us who aren't quite ready to go dead flat, yet still want the look – available in purple or black patent. Clarks all feature padded insoles so you'll still be super comfy.
3) SOFT by Ecco is just that, using animal print in soft patent leather, with a rubber sole for a more sporty, casual feel
4) HAYDEN by Hogl is ideal for those who prefer pointed toes, in soft, ruched matte leather with a low heel
5) JANET by Kubo will appeal if you're a fan of Campers, they have the same rounded toe and quirkiness – at a fraction of the price – and are orthotic friendly
6) FLORIDA by Progetto mixes black suede and vegetable dyed leather to add texture to your look
7) MARTA by Gabriele in black patent croc oozes class in a sloane ranger sort of way. Hey if its good enough for Kate Moss!
8) LEON by Diesel comes in this gorgeous silvery black hue and features a finer toe – similar to this pair worn by Sienna Miller
9) If you like loafers, Stuart Weitzman have done some cute ones this season, like SUPERHERO which comes in black sport suede or black patent croc with a platform wedge sole for that extra lift – preppy chic
10) Want a loafer you can pair with a pencil skirt? Step out in ladylike style in CIRCUS TENT by Clarks, an ultra feminine loafer with a stacked heel to make it seriously sexy.