Fashion blogger and influencer Carmen Hamilton from Chronicles of Her. Image supplied.
There is no question that Auckland has the best shopping in New Zealand and from March 29th – April 1st shoppers and fashion fans will be invited to discover an amazing array of events from the city’s best brands and stores. Four Days of Fashion in the City pulls together a schedule of exciting live performances, runway shows, installations and events that bring fashion to the streets (literally in some cases).
Stylish fashion blogger and influencer Carmen Hamilton from Chronicles of Her will be in town to celebrate the occasion. The street style star will be attending COACH’s spring collection launch at the Queen Street COACH store on Friday 31st March and moochi’s beauty session at the moochi boutique on Vulcan Lane on Saturday 1st April.
Stunning international model Andreja Pejic is making a whirlwind visit to Auckland to walk in Smith & Caughey’s The Last Friday in March fashion show on Friday 31st March at 12.15pm. The lunchtime runway show will feature a mix of womenswear, menswear and childrenswear with looks from Armani Collezioni, Stolen Girlfriends, Kate Sylvester, Camilla and Marc, Karen Walker, Miss Selfridge, Hugo Boss Kids and Paul Smith among the brands shown.
There are over 25 events on the full calendar for the four days with the CBD precincts of Britomart, High Street, Queen Street and Wynyard Quarter all taking part in the fashionable fun. With so many things to choose from we’ve narrowed down our top picks (other than the obvious events mentioned above) which include:
– The New Zealand Fashion Museum’s Walk the Walk features guided walking tours of the central city detailing its fashion history and a live runway show on Elliot Street on April 1st at 1pm and 2pm.
The New Zealand Fashion Museum will be exploring fashion history.
– While there is menswear in several of the runway shows and events, An Evening with Barkers on Friday 31st March is dedicated to men’s style. The Groom Room will be offering free cuts and shaves with a choice of gin or beer tastings from Sacred Springs Gin and Hallertau Brewery on hand while you shop.
– Photography fans won’t want to miss Hyperreal, presented by the AIPA, an exhibition of contemporary fashion photography and film featuring the brilliant work of over a dozen of New Zealand’s leading fashion photographers. Accompanying the exhibition there will be live fashion shoots on Saturday 1 April and Sunday 2 April with visitors able to see top photographers creating editorial fashion spreads using the latest Sony cameras and Profoto lighting equipment. The exhibition is open between 10am and 6pm on weekdays and 9am and 6pm on weekends from 29th March – 1st April.
– Ingrid Starnes will bring the runway to O’Connell Street when she presents her Autumn/Winter 2017 collection The Lost Pink Valley on the street in front of her boutique. The presentation is free to the public on Friday 31st March and the runway show will begin at 7pm.
– Ruby are collaborating with The Jellyologist on a Jelly Bar to celebrate the launch of Ruby’s Autumn/Winter 2017 collection. Get in quick to Ruby’s High Street boutique on Friday 31st March from 6pm to enjoy a jelly treat with designer Deanna Didovich at the installation inspired by RUBY’s latest collection.
– Britomart Fashion Sessions shows are always worth checking out especially Trelise Cooper’s runway show on Friday 31st March at 6.30pm which is likely to be spectacular.
– AUT’s fashion students will be providing a glimpse into our fashion future with an exciting exhibition, The Evolving Designer, showcasing three generations of emerging fashion designers. There will be collections from AUT final year Fashion students, Rookie 2016 and a group of AUT Fashion postgraduates known as the Creative Common Occupation (CCO). The exhibition opening will be on Thursday 30th March between 5pm and 8pm, with a fashion show at 6.30pm. The exhibition will be on between 12pm and 8pm daily from 31st March to 2nd April at Te Wero Island down at the Viaduct.
– Pat Menzies will be a popular spot to be on Saturday 1st April with the Vans Waffle Stack giving away delicious free waffles between 10am and 3pm. There will also be Vans prizes and giveaways up for lucky shoppers.
– The party atmosphere will be at Topshop Topman on Queen Street on Friday 31st March with Tui Award winning, electronic pop artist MAALA performing live from 8pm.
The Topshop Topman store on Queen Street.
For further info and the full schedule of events check out Heart of the City.