Stripes are back again this season (although they never really went away) and here are our top five reasons why we're obsessed with them…
1. They create an optical illusion which is flattering and actually slims your figure by drawing your eye to the positioning of the stripes rather than the body underneath. We heard that from style maven Paula Ryan who certainly knows all the best styling tricks, and we believe her as her latest summer collection features several great stripe combinations as you can see here on the always stylish Kylie Bax.
2. Stripes work with pretty much every silhouette, whether you want to wear them in a relaxed jumpsuit or a more closely cut dress like these Lucy McIntosh garments. You can also easily match stripes with block colours, prints or other stripes if you wish. These lovely painterly stripes remind us that they don’t have to conform to being perfectly straight or narrow. Rebellion is fun.
3. Yes, we’ve heard it a lot, but stripes do invoke a certain French woman chic, especially the navy kind that Kowtow have as part of their building blocks range. It’s hard not to feel just a bit more elegant even while being casual and the relaxed fit of Kowtow’s garments makes them oh so easy to wear. We especially love the swing style of this dress in the perfect light cotton for summer.
4. You can be as colourful or as monochromatic as you like with stripes, it really is up to you. Whether you want to go for the richer hues of this great long Lonely Hearts cardigan or the classic black, white and grey of this sweet swimsuit. Stripes are everywhere again this summer and Lonely have incorporated them into many different styles including swimwear which we’re big fans of.
5. They really are a classic look and especially when paired with timeless pieces like this Kate Sylvester wrap dress or trousers, you have looks that you can wear again and again for many seasons to come. The important thing is to choose pieces that flatter your shape and a wrap dress is a style that suits pretty much everyone and creates a great silhouette. What’s not to love about that?